Meet Warrick – AKA Wozz – and Ashley, founders of Wozz! Kitchen Creations – multi-purpose sauces, spice blends, salts, jelly, dukkah, dressings, relish and condiments – all handcrafted by the couple with individual palettes and creativity in mind!
Each of their products have a story, a conception in place and time. Each product has a birth place spanning the globe: from Broome, North Western Australia, to Greece, aboard the world’s first luxury yacht Christina O’, to a Japanese Banquet for the Prince of Monaco and his guests.
Wozz and Ashley decided to start their business a month before their wedding in Australia and soon after their product line grew from five to thirty in just a few short months!
Through farmers markets and events throughout Sydney, Newcastle, and NSW Australia, Wozz! found a growing number of loyal customers, all excited about the range of interesting pairings that encouraged and sparked their creativity in the kitchen.
After 2 years of success and a portfolio of memories, they packed their bags and headed to Ashley’s home in New Hampshire in hopes of settling in the USA and restarting the business in New England.
And so, in January of 2013, Wozz! Kitchen Creations was born in Bethlehem, NH and Hardwick VT. To this day, Warrick and Ashley continue to make everything from scratch and by hand from farm-fresh, real, wholesome ingredients.
They believe in crafting true artisan gourmet foods – right down to twisting the cap and hand sticking the labels – using no preservatives, artificial colors or additives – they want none of that junk in their special products! “We strive to make the highest quality specialty foods that get your creativity freight training…we want you to be surprised, engaged and excited when you try our products,” says Wozz.
Try one (or all!) of the Wozz! Collections featured on Undiscovered Kitchen:
Wozz! Cheese Pairings Collection: This Cheese Pairing Condiments make entertaining easy! A sweet and savory collection well suited for a variety of cheeses and Charcuterie accompaniments including:
- Cranberry Blood Orange Cognac Sauce: A cranberry sauce with an orange cognac twist. Made with fresh cranberries, blood orange and suited for your soft cheeses such as Brie and Camembert.
- Indian Spiced Beet (root) Relish: Fresh beets and Indian spices make this a savory sweet earthy relish suited best for Goats Cheese and Blue Cheese.
- Triple Ale Onion Savory: Winner of 2014 NYC Fancy Food Show’s sofi™ GOLD for Outstanding Condiment. Amazing on aged cheddar and Manchego. Also pairs well with Gorgonzola.
- Thai Hot Pepper Glaze: Spread over Cream Cheese just like you would a Hot Pepper Jelly. Also pairs well with Brie and Camembert.
- Moroccan Tomato Onion Relish: A sweet and savory tomato onion relish. Pairs well with Parmesan and Feta. Serve alongside olives and savory crackers.
Wozz! Ultimate Spicy Condiment Collection: This savory spicy condiments guaranteed to evoke your palette and get your taste buds freight training! Includes:
- Super Hot Chili Sambal: Our Hottest Offering. We say it’s about a 7-8/10 on the heat scale. Relax, if you love your chili hot but you also need superb flavor, this is it. Our Super Hot Chili Sambal is an 8/10 on the heat scale. Fans have testified it is the perfect heat. A balance of bullet chilis, sweetened lemon, ginger and garlic makes this a much more versatile condiment than the usual vinegar based chili sauces out there. Use on everything…except ice cream…?
- Spicy Summer Mango Chutney: A mango chutney with some chili heat. We use fresh mango, medjool dates and aromatic spices to make this sweet savory condiment perfect for pork chicken and Indian curries.
- Thai Hot Pepper Glaze: Think Sweet Chili Sauce with an extra chili pop. This glaze works on chicken, pork, burgers and is THE dipping sauce for pot stickers, egg rolls, fried shrimp, spring rolls and wontons. Excellent on chicken wings.
- Kiwi Lime Salsa Verde: A Tangy salsa with a Smoky Jalapeno Finish. Made with FRESH tomatillos, FRESH kiwi fruit and FRESH jalapenos! Perfect over blackened fish and Mexican tacos and fajitas. Keep it easy and serve with tortilla chips.
Gourmet Asian Dressing & Dipping Sauce Collection: Whether you’re making noodle salads, green salads, a marinade for chicken and fish, Asian dumplings, egg rolls, pot stickers, or even a vodka martini, these sauces are perfect! Includes:
- Ginger Soy Infusion Dressing: Winner of NYC Fancy Food Show’s sofi™ Gold for Outstanding Dressing. Perfect on noodle salads, green salads, as a marinade for chicken and fish and the ultimate dipping sauce for Asian dumplings, egg rolls and pot stickers!
- Lychee Coconut & Lime Dressing: Sweet Tropical Tang is what you get with this dressing, perfect on chicken and coconut shrimp. Also Fantastic in a vodka martini!
- Vietnamese Green Tea & Mint Dressing: Savory Tangy Dressing with a bit of Chili Kick! Awesome in Asian Noodle Bowls and perfect for a simple greens salad.
- Thai Hot Pepper Glaze: Think Sweet Chili Sauce with a kick! THE dipping sauce for wontons, egg rolls, fried shrimp and yes it’s perfect drizzled over cream cheese for entertaining!
- Japanese Sesame Miso Dressing: This is the Asian Dressing you get on the shredded lettuce salad in Japanese restaurants. It’s got a nutty tang and is delicious on salmon!
All dressings are gluten free except Ginger Soy Infusion
Who are the business founders and when did you launch the business?
Warrick Dowsett & his wife Ashley Thompson started Wozz! in Australia December 2010 one month before they married.
What inspired you to start your business?
After our move to Australia, rather than go to work and leave Ashley waiting to receive her nursing license, I thought it would be a good idea to stick together and sell a selection of sauces at farmers markets. That way we could travel and she could meet the locals and experience the culture. Never did either of us expect the instant success we would receive!
Did you have a background in the food/drink industry when you started?
I worked as a chef in 5 star hotels in Australia which eventually led to a career as a private chef aboard luxury yachts sailing Europe and the Caribbean.
A business idea that was left on the editing room floor?
The whole conception for Wozz! was started in San Francisco in January 2007. I was researching how to start a gourmet salad restaurant and wrap bar using many of my condiments and dressings as key ingredients in the salads. But, anyone who knows anything about San Francisco, knows how competitive and expensive it is for a start up and in our case almost impossible to find a suitable location quickly. So I went back to yachts, kept saving and rethought a strategy that could reach more people in time, alternative locations and with a smaller start up investment.
What are some rookie mistakes you made when starting out?
[Web] designers, in general, I consider a big waste of time and money for a start up. It’s expensive for what ends up being work you look to replace very quickly…or never use at all. We spent plenty on web and label design work which never saw the light of day.
How do you stay motivated in the face of competition?
Keeping ourselves as unique as possible, coming up with new creative recipes to utilize our range and listen to customers, if there is something about a product people are having trouble with, change it. Make it work, give them what they want it to be, not what you think it should be.
What’s your biggest business goal for this year?
Go National!! Just kidding, every time I hear a start up say they are going to go national I just want to squirt lemon juice in my eye. For us it’s to have the website rank better and grow sales, expand our wholesale base and streamline some systems to give us both some free time.
Where do you see your business in 10 years?
No idea…but wherever it brings us, we hope it’s where we want to be.
Your dream celebrity endorsement (dead or alive)?
The Dali Lama and Gandhi, The Dali Lama cracks me up and well Gandhi, lets face it. The guy’s gotta love chutney right!?
What’s your team or company motto? (Informal or formal)
When asked “but what do I do with it?” I honestly don’t care what you do with it, just whack it on stuff!
TRY WOZZ KITCHEN CREATIONS NOW!
Shop for Wozz! Kitchen Creations on Undiscovered Kitchen (Free Shipping!)