Susie, the name and face behind Suzlyfe has one of the the most amazing taglines we’re ever read, “Grab your nightly ice cream, put on some compression, and let’s chat.” You had me at nightly ice cream Susie!
Who is Susie? “I run, I write, I opine, I cook, I eat. I live my lyfe as best I can, showing myself, others, and Crohn’s Disease just who wears the Brooks in this relationship …” She’s pursuing her dreams and dragging her husband along for the ride! You can find Susie around the health and fitness community at #SwirlGear #girlsgonesporty #teamstellar #imfitpossible #Sweatpink and #Ramblen. She’s also one of Undiscovered Kitchen’s partners in our New Year New You, Ultimate Fitness Giveaway!
Looking for normal? Run-of-the-mill? You won’t find it here! Susie is a NASM Certified Personal Trainer but she’s NOT your typical runner or your typical lifter which means she’s NOT your typical trainer either! We especially love her unique “Long Run Series,” which is a series of posts about issues and thoughts related to running, fitness pursuits, and surviving the marathon that is the Suzlyfe.
These posts are meant to be humorous (her personality shines through in every post!), serious, and most of all, from the heart. You’ll find “Technical Posts” like Fueling and Active Recovery; The Long Run 1, “What Fitness has Taught Me” posts like Marathon Mindset, “Dealing with Injury” posts like Plantar Fasciitis (which I know ALL too well!), “The Mental Side” posts like Living the Suzlyfe and “Race Reports” like Rock and Roll Chicago 2013.
And if you’re hungry, check out In Your Gullet, with recipes like:
Need some Suzlyfe in your lyfe? You may want to start here:
- Suzlyfe: Life & Balance: http://suzlyfe.com/five-ingredient-holiday-recipe/
- My Food Doesn’t Do Quiet: http://suzlyfe.com/colorful-food-memorial-day-wiaw/
- Food Should Be Fun! (NEDA awareness): http://suzlyfe.com/food-should-be-fun-nedawareness-recipefriday/
- Heart Opener: http://suzlyfe.com/heart-opener-giveaway-friday-favorites/
When did you start your blog?
November 25, 2013
What inspired you to start your blog?
The need to do something for myself, to nurture and grow when I was at a point in my life when I felt lost, emotionally, mentally, and with regards to my career.
What’s the goal/mission of your blog?
To realize what it means to live life fully, beyond expectation–my own, my body’s, other’s–and to help others realize that they can as well through a healthy diet of nutrition, fitness, and a whole lot of ice cream and nonsense.
Is your blog your full time job? If not, how do you balance your time?
It isn’t – balance can be hard at times, but I take advantage of my time in the mornings, lunch, and evenings when my husband is at work.
Any funny/memorable rookie mistakes or lessons learned along the way?
Oh, I still make many of them! Luckily, from the very beginning, I made sure to say that I don’t make any claims on the long term direction of my blog – these are the chronicles of my life, and they promise to be unpredictable! My big rookie mistake was not getting my photography on point early on (and something I’m still struggling with) Tip: Never say never!!!!
How do you keep a healthy mind?
Perspective. You can’t control all situations in life, just your reactions.
How do you keep a healthy body?
By listening to it. Some times it will cry wolf, sometimes it really does need the rest – by listening to it and getting in tune with it, you can learn to decipher the two!
How do you keep a healthy spirit?
Laughter and balance. Self explanatory!
What’s your secret to staying motivated?
Perspective – keep your eye on what is important, and know that a series of little steps can ultimately result in a marathon!
What are 3-5 of your favorite fitness/health related products?
- My water bottle! I keep one filled at work and at home. Hydration is important for us all – especially when we are in training!
- Foam roller or lacrosse ball – Nothing hurts as good like getting those knots out. After a good session, I feel so much looser and like I’ve been released.
- Compression wear – When you sit at a desk all day, anything to promote good circulation is greatly appreciated.
- Food scale – From baking to learning portion sizes (or, heck, weighing your packages!), nothing beats a food scale for health.
- Properly fitting apparel – from shoes to a good bra (and sometimes, you still have to get covered in Body Glide!)
What are 3-5 of your favorite small batch food companies?
- Jessica’s Gluten Free Granola
- TastyMakes (let me know if you want to try some! I am an affiliate!) (Available on Undiscovered Kitchen!)
- Social (a great GF, non GMO, “healthy” alcoholic beverage!)
- Norm’s Farms Elderberry products (Available on Undiscovered Kitchen!)
- Irene’s Biscotti (egg white biscotti)
What’s your “secret ingredient” in the kitchen and why?
JUST ONE??? Cruel…. I would say that salt and pepper are two of the most basic secret ingredients (nothing beats proper seasoning), but my “secret weapons” are Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and grainy mustard.
What are your favorite foodie blogs/sites for recipe inspiration?
Cotter Crunch– Love Lindsey and her creativity!
Fit Foodie Mama – Love me Annmarie!
Tina Muir – A great blogging friend, amazing athlete, and fabulous chef.
Imma Eat That – Because, you know that Imma Eat that!
North and South Nomads – Incredible photography and drool worthy recipes.
Almost Getting it Together – Another great blog friend and recipe developer.
What are your 3 of your best or favorite posts of all time?
- State of the Suzlyfe (Blogiversary)
- Running is a Bad Boy (Justin Bobby)
- Nam Sod Sable Fish – I love all my recipes (shameless, I know!) but I love this recent one
Given all the time, tools and fresh ingredients, what would you love to try in the kitchen?
- Souffle. One day, I will create a healthy and accessible version of this!
- Pizza from scratch (no room in a tiny kitchen, haha)
- Fancy French pastry. I’ll never make it, but I will pretend.
What recipe have you been dying to master but still can’t get exactly right?
ANYTHING involving coconut flour. For some reason, it just doesn’t like me! But I can cook with protein powder like a champ!
What 3 items can’t you live without?
- IN THE KITCHEN: saute pan, microwavable dishes, a really good knife and cutting board
- IN LIFE: my husband, my cat, my mom
- IN THE BATHROOM: excellent moisturizer, Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, Coach Signature Perfume
- IN THE GYM: See above!
What are you excited to or hope to achieve in 2015?
A Boston Qualifying Marathon!
CONNECT WITH SUZLYFE ON: