This sauce is the perfect blend of sweet and savory. It’s 100% vegan and the hardest part of this recipe is going to be waiting for your vegetables to roast!
I was recently watching an episode of Binging with Babish — an awesome Youtube series that teaches you how to make dishes from popular movies and TV shows — and he made a beautiful bell pepper and tomato sauce for his version of ratatouille. While watching I immediately knew I had to make my own (simpler) version of the sauce. While amazing on pasta, this sauce also works well with chicken or served alongside roasted vegetables — try it out!
Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato Sauce
- Half white onion
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- Handful of basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Optional: Garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice tomatoes in half, slice bell peppers into thin strips, cut onions into rings, finely chop basil and garlic.
- Season tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers with oil, salt, and pepper. Optional: also dress with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Place seasoned vegetables on an oiled baking sheet and place in heated oven for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove vegetables from baking sheet and place in a separate bowl to cool down. If there are any drippings or juices on the pan carefully pour into the bowl as well. (These roasted veggies also taste great served whole on salads or grains)
- Once cooled (about 15 minutes) put the vegetables and drippings into a blender or food processor. Blend until ingredients are combined and blender runs smoothly.
- On a lightly oiled pan, cook chopped garlic until fragrant.
- Add the sauce from blender or food processor to the pan and allow to simmer on medium heat.
- Once the sauce is bubbling, add chopped basil and additional seasonings. Lower heat to medium-low.
- Mix with cooked pasta and enjoy!
Here are some more of Undiscovered Kitchen’s healthy and delicious vegan recipes: