Lime curd (for example, this is a creamy, sweet-tart perfection, but often has too much refined sugar added to it. This paleo-fied recipe includes just ¼ cup of honey with a full, fresh and delightfully mouth-puckering citrus flavor. With a few simple steps, this curd is very easy to prepare. Keeping the heat low and constantly whisking while cooking, you can cook this dessert within minutes.
PALEO HONEY LIME CURD
YIELD: About 1 cup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 4-6 limes)
- 6 egg yolks
- Just a pinch of sea salt
- 4 Tbsp palm shortening or butter, cubed
- Place all ingredients except for shortening/butter in a medium saucepan and whisk to combine. Place the pan on medium-low heat and bring to a small simmer, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened. This will only take a few minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Whisk in the fat little by little until all is melted and combined thoroughly.
- Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Once cooled slightly, press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and continue chilling until cold and set, 2 hours to overnight.
- Once cooled, serve with your favorite fruits!
MORE… PALEO EGG DISHES
- Poached Eggs with Quick–Sautéed Asparagus and Crispy Prosciutto
- Crust–Less Vegetable Quiche
- Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash with Baked Egg
- The Leftover Mash: Fried Egg with Parsnip Puree, Sausage, and Chard
PALEO SIDE DISHES
- Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad with Honey Toasted Pecans
- Fresh Brussels Sprout and Apple Slaw
- Fresh Radishes with Sea Salt, Butter, and Rustic Puree de Fines Herbs
- Wilted Swiss Chard
- Rosemary-Infused Parsnip Puree
- Maple Glazed Peppercorn Bacon