For a fresh interpretation of a typical roasted Brussels sprouts dish, serve this unique slaw! Surprising as it may be, Brussels sprouts are fantastic raw! They have a great crunch and a wonderful taste that pairs well with apples and homemade vinaigrette. This is best served soon after the vinaigrette is added, since shredded Brussels sprouts wilt and soften easily when exposed to liquid for any period of time.
PALEO FRESH BRUSSELS SPROUT AND APPLE SLAW
YIELD: 6 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 large green apple
- ⅛ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 1/3 cup oil (coconut or olive oil)
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- ½ cup cranberries or dates, optional
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- Clean the Brussels sprouts: cut the bottom stem and remove the top layer of leaves. Wash under cold water. Using a grater attachment of a food processor, shred the Brussels sprouts. Alternatively, you can thinly (and carefully!) slice the sprouts with a knife until finely shredded.
- Place in a large bowl. Add the red onions to the bowl.
- Thinly slice the apple in small strips or cubes. Add to the vegetable bowl.
- For the vinaigrette: Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and oil until combined and slightly thickened.
- Toss the vinaigrette together with the Brussels sprout mixture. Mix in the optional dried fruits and sesame seeds and serve immediately. The fruit will become soft/soggy if left to sit in the mixture for too long.
MORE… PALEO EGG DISHES
- Poached Eggs with Quick–Sautéed Asparagus and Crispy Prosciutto
- Crust–Less Vegetable Quiche
- Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash with Baked Egg
- The Leftover Mash: Fried Egg with Parsnip Puree, Sausage, and Chard
PALEO SIDE DISHES
- Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad with Honey Toasted Pecans
- Fresh Brussels Sprout and Apple Slaw
- Fresh Radishes with Sea Salt, Butter, and Rustic Puree de Fines Herbs
- Wilted Swiss Chard
- Rosemary-Infused Parsnip Puree
- Maple Glazed Peppercorn Bacon
- Honey Lime Curd
- Coconut Macaroons
- Peach and Blueberry Nut Cobbler
- Carrot Cake with Coconut Whipped Cream Frosting