Hummus: A Delight of the East
Originating in the Middle East, hummus has spread throughout the world due to its delicious taste, creamy texture and healthy nature. And if you’ve never tried, believe it or not, it’s actually VERY easy to make and tastes absolutely fantastic when fresh! It’s especially delightful when combined with kabobs and shwarmas but we also love it with veggies, on sandwiches or wraps and as a great vegan substitute for mayo on burgers.
Since, it is basically a mixture of chickpeas and tahini; all other ingredients are added to enhance the flavor. Hummus is a healthy mix of proteins, minerals, vitamins, and unsaturated fat, which are all good for the bod. You’ll be surprised at how quick and easy the whole process is! All you’ll need are the ingredients below and a blender or food processor.
- Canned Chickpeas – 400g (Save a few for garnishing)
- Garlic Clove – 1
- Tahini – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Olive Oil (Extra Virgin) – 6 tbsp (you will also need for pouring afterwards)
- Lemon Juice – 3 tbsp (freshly squeezed)
If you’re unfamiliar with tahini, don’t worry, it’s just sesame seed paste and widely available. The sesame seeds are baked and then grinded in a blender with some olive oil. If you want you can make tahini at home as well. If you have all the ingredients, you can prepare the tahini and then use it in your hummus – all in about one half hour. Or, you can buy some tahini in a deal from Groupon.
- Wash the chickpeas,
- Put them in the blender or food processor along with tahini, garlic, salt, lemon juice and some of the liquid from the can.
- Start the blender and pour the olive oil in slowly.
- Use the the olive oil to control the viscosity of the sauce and stop the blender when you are satisfied with the texture.
- Pour your hummus into a container and sprinkle some olive oil on top!
- Garnish with paprika, fresh coriander, and any other spices you like.
- This quantity will serve about 3 people.
- You’re ready to eat!!
The beauty of this sauce is that it’s simple to make and allows you to experiment with the overall flavor – some of our favorite ingredients to play with are red peppers, spicy peppers, basil, sun-dried tomato and cilantro! This hummus can last up to 3 months in refrigeration but let’s be honest, you’ll be licking the plate clean well before then! Give it a try and have fun and please let us know how it goes via comments.