POLISH PEOPLE LOVE THEIR POTATOES!
So versatile, there’s almost nothing you can’t do with a potato! I get my LOVE of cooking, specifically the hard work of making meals from scratch, from my grandma – Although, she doesn’t LOVE it quite as much as I do! Just yesterday, my grandma wanted to make us potato pancakes for lunch, so of course, I documented the entire process for you! Fun fact, I grew up in this VERY kitchen and remember grating potatoes on this very countertop as young as 5 years old! And let me tell you… it’s been WAY too long since I’ve had Grandma’s famous potato pancakes!
I am adding this recipe to my arsenal of “easy & delicious meals” that are sure to impress everyone at the table! So who’s coming over for dinner?
And for my vegan buddies, this recipe is SUPER easy to make vegan! Just leave out the egg!
FIRST, MEET MY AMAZING GRAMMIE:
GRANDMA’S FAMOUS POLISH POTATO PANCAKES RECIPE!
Makes 16-18 pancakes
- 6 large potatoes (I like yellow potatoes)
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg (OPTIONAL)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp pepper
- Olive oil (for frying)
PANCAKE TOPPING OPTIONS:
- 1 cup sour scream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chives
- Peel and wash the potatoes
- Grate the potatoes and onion by hand using a box grater or use a food processor (see below for which side of the grater is ideal for this job)
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, flour and egg
- Heat up your frying pan with a generous pour of olive oil
- One by one, spoon your potato pancake batter onto the pan and cook over medium heat
- Each side of the pancake takes about a minute or less to cook – surprisingly quick!
- When they’re done, I like to put them on a plate of paper towels to absorb excess oil
- Continue steps 5-7 until all of your pancake batter is gone
- Don’t forget to add oil to the pan as you make new pancakes
- Serve with plain sour scream, a sour cream and chive mix, a sour scream and sugar mix (trust me, it’s delicious!) or whatever else you think might be tasty – I like to puree some sautéed spinach and mix it with my sour cream!
GRATE YOUR POTATOES & ONION:
GRATED POTATOES & ONION:
ADD FLOUR & EGG:
FRY UP YOUR PANCAKES:
ABSORB EXCESS OIL:
READY TO EAT!
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE AT HOME!?
Let me know how it turned out in the comments below!