CAULIFLOWER GOES ITALIAN
Here’s a recipe for you to try for your next paleo and gluten-free pizza night! The cauliflower pizza crust is a great foundation for any of your favorite pizza toppings.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- One pizza: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cauliflower head
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- Your chosen pizza toppings! In this recipe:
- Asiago cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Caramelized Onions
Prepare the cauliflower:
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or sil-pat. Spray with non-stick cook spray. Set aside.
- Cut off any leaves and most of the stalk from the cauliflower head. Cut the cauliflower into small chunks.
- Place the chunks of raw cauliflower in a food processor. Pulse the cauliflower for just a few seconds until it resemble small grains of rice. Do not pulse for too long.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the processed cauliflower for 5 minutes. The cauliflower will be slightly softened and very steamy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cooled cauliflower in a (clean!) dish rag. Twist the rag to squeeze out all excess water – there will be quite a lot! Take your time with this step – you want to remove as much moisture as possible!
Form and Bake the Pizza Crust
- Break the eggs in a separate bowl. Lightly whisk the eggs together.
- Combine the eggs, salt, and prepared cauliflower. Mix until all ingredients are combined well together.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and form into a circle. Keep the crust thick, about 1/2 inch. The crust will spread slightly.
- Bake until the middle feels solid and dry and the ends are nicely browned, about 30-40 minutes.
Add the Toppings to the Pizza Crust
- Remove the baked crust from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450F.
- Add your desired toppings to the crust.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the toppings are warmed.
- Cut into pizza slices and enjoy!
This may be more of a fork-and-knife pizza than you’re used to, but TRUST US, you’re going to love it!